Re: Re[2]: Lathe & Mill

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 01:12 pm, Richard wrote:
> Hello Ray,
>
> Wednesday, November 6, 2002, 5:46:01 PM, you wrote:
>
> RH> Your trade is also a good fit with the EMC because it is open
> source. RH> When you see things that don't seem to work the way that
> you think they RH> should, change them.
>
> Yes, that part does sound appealing. What happens about driving
> hardware under Linux?. If I made my own card with encoder
> interface and DACs then I know I'm into EmcMot territory but is
> anything else needed, like a device driver of some kind?

Hi Richard

Paul Corner, the maintainer of the BDI, has just been working out some
separations between the motion stuff and drivers.  In fact the repository

http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=6744

now includes emc/src/drivers as a catch all directory of these sort of
things.  The vtc.c and vtc.h were written for a vigilant
encoder/analogue/dio sort of board.  You might be able to figure out a
path to your own projects by a look at those files.

At a more basic dos like inb outb or peek and poke level,
emc/src/emcio/iosh offers a connector between the NML language and direct
port access.  You can see a bit about how this work by looking at
tkio in the same directory or several of the files in emc/tcl/scripts.