Re: emc-0.9-25.src.tgz

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Fred wrote:
<s>
> I downloaded it, ran it, worked OK for the limited testing I did. I had
> a problem with the version creation script,
> emc/scripts/generic/setversion, which gave this error when I was root:
>
> [root-at-hostname nist]# emc/scripts/generic/setversion
> sed: -e expression #1, char 33: Unterminated `s' command
> sed: -e expression #1, char 30: Unterminated `s' command
>
> but it ran fine when I was a normal user. I looked into the script and
> it's OK, line by line, so I don't know what's going on. It may just be
> some screwy environment thing I have. If anyone else has this problem
> let me know.

At least you got the release to go.

I can't seem to make the setversion come out either on the .src.  But
packupbin and then untar and install works correctly.  Will explained that
with the src there is a two step process to make the version file.  The
date comes from the filename, the version comes from the machine doing the
compile.  But I got lost trying to figure out why it didn't work for me.

> > This release includes the probing function and some interesting info under
> > the help menu.  Probing is briefly described in the handbook.
>
> I edited the emc/doc/RELEASE_NOTES to reflect this release. Here's what
> I propose for how this file should be used:

<snipped all the release_notes stuff>

   > Does this make sense?

Very good plan for the NOTES.  I didn't realize how much had been done to
the code since August.

I had another thought on the release notes.  Updates to this file take a
long time to download -- the post office might be faster here -- so I was
wondering if it mgiht work to sort the big file into yearly archives.
RELEASE_NOTES would remain the current file.  NOTES99 ... or
whatever could hold the older stuff.

I posted these releases for a couple of folk who wanted to
experiment with probing and I couldn't get the current sourceforge to
compile here.  More /usr/include/sys/io.h: problems.  So I just went back
and got the last one I'd done for myself.

I think that it is probably better to have official releases done by you
folk and downloaded from sourceforge..  But hey, I'm easy.  The packupsrc
is nearly trivial except for the release notes as you mentioned.  The
compiled versions also seem to have really good error logs.  But I can
easily get lost in this make and compile business  .