Re: emc-0.9-25.src.tgz

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Fred wrote:
<s>
> I downloaded it, ran it, worked OK for the limited testing I did. I had
> a problem with the version creation script,
> emc/scripts/generic/setversion, which gave this error when I was root:
>
> [root-at-hostname nist]# emc/scripts/generic/setversion
> sed: -e expression #1, char 33: Unterminated `s' command
> sed: -e expression #1, char 30: Unterminated `s' command
>
> but it ran fine when I was a normal user. I looked into the script and
> it's OK, line by line, so I don't know what's going on. It may just be
> some screwy environment thing I have. If anyone else has this problem
> let me know.

At least you got the release to go.

I can't seem to make the setversion come out either on the .src.  But
packupbin and then untar and install works correctly.  Will explained that
with the src there is a two step process to make the version file.  The
date comes from the filename, the version comes from the machine doing the
compile.  But I got lost trying to figure out why it didn't work for me.

> > This release includes the probing function and some interesting info under
> > the help menu.  Probing is briefly described in the handbook.
>
> I edited the emc/doc/RELEASE_NOTES to reflect this release. Here's what
> I propose for how this file should be used:

<snipped all the release_notes stuff>

> Does this make sense?

Very good plan for the NOTES.  I didn't realize how much had been done to
the code since August.

I posted these releases for a couple of folk who wanted to
experiment with probing,  I couldn't get the current sourceforge to
compile here.  More /usr/include/sys/io.h: problems.  So I just went back
and got the last one I'd done for myself.

I think that it is probably better to have official releases done by you
folk and downloaded from sourceforge..  I can easily get lost in this
make and compile business  .