second computer for DRO readout

Hi!
I would like to use steppers in a closed loop mode - but DRO input board is
currently unavailable.
Can the DRO input be done into another machine, a DOS machine ,
for example? I think this was already accomplished, and DOS machine can capture
encoder data into the parallel port.
This DOS machine can be networked to the EMC Linux machine over the Ethernet (WATTCP).
Then data in a DOS machine can be written into the socket and Linux Emc can read them
from the socket at the Ethernet rate ( no RT required), similar its is done now for the ISA
card, and used for a closed loop control of the steppers.
Can you please tell me if this idea is doable and if it is, how hard it is to implement it.
I had some experience with WATTCP and it worked great!
Best regards,
Alex Likhterman