Re: Using alternative hardware (for servos).

Title: Re: Using alternative hardware (for servos).
Those are cute encoders and indeed the right size. Probably spendy. I chose the direct route since I’ve already used encoders on my small machine. The antibacklash system on the resolver mount assumes the case is eccentric to the shaft so one removes the backlash by rotating the encoder. These resolvers were gear driven and by going to the encoders I get a direct coupling to the servo shaft. I like simplicity! :-)

I understand the Vigilant or something like that makes black boxes that are resolver to counts. Will even provide the right connectors. The price I’ve heard is about $300/channel.

The Mazak has a pulse code handwheel: sure would be nice to integrate that into emc, as if I need more on my plate. Just getting the basics running is going to be a challenge.

Good luck with your conversion.

Dave