If you are running a BDI install version,
you will have to do a couple of things to get
smdromod to work.

download a file from the drop box at linuxcnc.org
called "BDI-build.tgz"

next delete a line in the source code of a
file called "dro.c". Look in /emc/src/emcmot
The line to delete is "#define extern"

untar the BDI-build file and copy it to
/usr/local/emc

Run the script BDI_build.  This file will
recompile everything on your computer.

Also make sure your card address, via the jumpers,
is set for 0200.

Regards,
Allen F