Re: Several questions

> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:01:25 -0500 (EST)
> Originator: emc-at-nist.gov
> From: "Joel Jacobs" <jj-at-netexp.net>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <emc-at-nist.gov>
> Subject: Several questions
>

> Hi all,
> I finally got EMC up and running on a Pentium 100mhz computer running
> 2.2.13/rtlinux-2.0.  The computer seems grossly underpowered as I can not
> get the motors to run smoothly.  I had to set 'PERIOD' in freqmot to 100
> before I got the GUI working.  I'm trying to decide what to do, whether or
> not to try a faster computer.  It seems like a really nice program if I
> could get it working but I noticed some peculiar behavior that I'm not sure
> is related to cpu speed.
>
> 1. Sometimes I start it and it won't come out of estop,  I shut it down and
> restart it and it may come out of estop but can't turn the machine on.
> Restart again and everything turns on and I can move motors but after a
> while it may stop responding to any input.  When I first installed it, it
> wouldn't work at all and the coordinates display was red - I changed the
> polarity of the limit and home inputs and it started to work but the input
> pins on the printer port are 'open'  maybe I need to tie them low?

Unfortunately there are a lot of reasons for not being able to come out of
estop. Ussually I start to look for the reason by running
plat/linux_2_2_13/bin/usrmot -ini mymachine.ini

And entering "show flags" to see most of the flags that might prevent you from
coming out of estop.

> 2. Everytime I start the program the default jog speed is 300 imp no matter
> what I put in the ini file for max velocity.
>
> 3. I can't edit the settings in the calibration dialog.  I click on a
> setting and then try left and right arrows to see if the carrot moves and it
> may move on another field.
>
> 4. I wanted to try emcmot but I get an un-resolved 'hrgettime'.  Any clue?
> It doesn't seem to be in the system.map that was created when I compiled the
> rt kernel.

Did you run the install_rtlinux_base script? It should have insmoded  rtl_time.o
which has gethrtime. (I assume hrgettime is a typo.)

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Joel

William Penn Shackleford III			shackle-at-nist.gov
National Institute of Standards & Technology	Tel:	(301) 975-4286
100 Bureau Drive Stop 8230  			FAX:	(301) 990-9688
Gaithersburg MD  20899  USA
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/shackleford/
Office Location: Bldg. 220 Rm A253