Re: EMC compatable computers

Hi Bob

I've had very good operation using the Via/Cyrix socket 370 chips.  This
one that I'm typing on is a FIC motherboard with an Via 800 and it does a
rather good job with the BDI-TNG.  It's got one ISA.  The onboard Trydent
CyberBlade display driver is a big yawn, but it is adequate for EMC and
for most of the "office" stuff I need to do.

I'm told that there is a Via 1.1 or 1.2 CPU in the works with the 370
pinprint.

If the desire to get processor speed up has anything to do with display,
Nvidia now supports both Linux and FreeBSD direct from the company web
site.  I'm told that they do it for all their cards.  Their driver
download page has a bunch of helpful start here type stuff.

Some additional thoughts on this in random order.

My approach has always been to get the lowest cost board on special and
try it.  If it works, great.  If not load a legal copy of that other OS
and sell the setup cheap.  I really haven't found a board that didn't
work for the most part.  Sometimes a peripheral won't be recognized and
you'll have to search out a solution if you need that device.

The need for an ISA slot could be avoided if you used a PCI encoder and
D/A card like the Vigilant.  Once you find the pci address you can use
that in the ini file -- as long as you don't change the hardware.  Or if
you keep changing the nature of your hardware, you could develop an
automatic plug-and-play like routine for this using grep on the result of
a cat /proc/pci command each time you start up the EMC.

Industrial motherboards, SBC's and backplanes will have the isa slots for
a long time yet.  You'll spend more money but you'll have a setup
that will be reproducible and repairable for years.  These kinds of
systems are end user serviceable as well in the event that you are not
the end user.   I saw a recent quote on an SBC with 800 via that included
a passive six slot backplane, card carrier, and stuff like 128 Meg
disk-on-chip for less than $600.

If you are running a servo machine, you don't really need much PC power.
And most of what is there is available for gui and such.

You could start tkemc or tkemcex under x-windows without the desktop
manager and save a bit more overhead.  I've done this and it does produce
somewhat faster response.

Like CW says, there are a lot of used computers out there.  I was given a
166 gateway with at least six ISA slots.  I overclocked it to 200MHz and
loaded the BDI 2.18.  Works great with my Grizzly minimill at 36 ipm
using either steppermod or freqmod.   The winmodem doesn't work and it
says that it knows that there is a network device but can't figure out
what it is!

Ray