Re: EMC/RTLinux running under Debian.

(Quoting several different emails here)

> several random thoughts
> Most people on this list appear to post from windows computers.
> which suggests to me that the emc machine might not have net
> access, or not when running linux.  which would tend to break
> apt-get. and lean those folk towards a CD install.
>
> but using apt-get to allow people to use a standard distro cd
> and then emc-ify it sounds good.

First step for me will be making up some deb packages with dependencies, and
throwing them up somewhere where current debian users on this list can add
them to their sources.conf and try apt-get'ing it.  (With the intent of
working out any installation/dependency bugs).

Once everything's all worked out, I'll work on getting this all installed
from a CD.  I'll try and make the installler as simple as possible.

> Running KDE does impose a significant demand on a computer, and I would
agree
> that RedHat is not the finest or purest of distros. That said, anaconda
(the
> RH installer) is fairly easy to hack, and it can be customised to do a
> minimal install. Using an embedded GUI would speed up the overall
performance.

Indeed; anaconda is actually pretty cool.

> If you are planning on using a 2.4 series kernel, might I suggest you look
at
> using the rtai patch in stead of rtlinux - You get the opportunity of
running
> the latest kernel.

At the moment the debian (potato) machine I'm working on is 2.2 based, but
I'll definitely be looking at 2.4 after this.  Thanks... I'm still quite new
to EMC/RT - any pointers are great :)

- Ryan

--
:: Ryan Verner           xfesty/irc.oublinet.net ::
:: ICQ 76626240       MSN dev.festy-at-start.com.au ::

       "Spiral out.  Keep going, going..."