Re: compile error

On Tue, 2002-01-01 at 13:20, Chris Elshout wrote:
> Does linux have a "path" to load like DOS?

Yes. In linux, there are 2 places for envinroment variables:

* machine wide variables that every user uses
* users own variables

System wide variables are usually in /etc - directory, so PATH would
be there too, in "/etc/profile" - file to be exact:

PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"

Users own variables go to "/home/username/.bash_profile" file if you are
using "bash" as your shell (as most of BDI users probably are). Notice
that also "/home/username/.bashrc" can be used for this. And also notice
that mostly all in linux is case-sensitive, so "path" and "PATH" are
different things.

> In the BDI  I do not make a
> user.(I just press enter during that part of setup)
> Maybe linux doesn't look into my own made directory.

You can add users later by issuing

useradd username

command. After that, you can set users password with

password username

command.

> For cvs I had to change my autoexec.bat on W98 pc.
> I added these lines:
> set CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous-at-cvs.EMC.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emc
> set HOMEDRIVE=C:
> set HOMEPATH=c:\linux
> set TMP=C:\temp
> set TEMP=C:\temp
> set HOME=c:\linux
>
> and added C:\linux to my path structure
>
> Is there some sort of equal procedure in linux?

put this to your "/home/username/.bash_profile":

CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous-at-cvs.EMC.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emc
export CVSROOT

The "export CVSROOT" is because every variable must be made "visible" to
the current running shell after it's been declared.

Best regards,

Henkka