Kernel woes...!

This is kind of long, so please bear with me!

Here's where I am.  After finally hunting down a replacement cdrom
drive, I've finally got the BDI running on a 120 MHz/16Mb system.  I
have found that the steppers run quite slowly, and the X interface is
pretty clunky with the video hardware I have, so I'm thinking about
installing emc/rtlinux on a 333Mhz/128Mb machine I have that's already
running RedHat 6.2.

On the RH6.2 machine I'm currently running Linux kernel 2.2.12-20, which
is not one of the versions that Ray's instructions mention.  Not too
surprisingly, compiling RTL-2.2 anyway and trying to install it did not
get me a working real-time kernel.  It did get me as far as generating a
bzImage, but even though lilo claims to have added it as rtl22 it I
cannot see or select it at boot time.  The real problem is that I have
only a very vague idea of what I'm doing when it comes to kernels!!   It
still boots with the old kernel, fortunately, so I'm still up and
running.

I know what you're thinking: the BDI was invented for you, ya
bonehead!   That's great, and I'd install BDI on the faster machine in a
second, except that I'd really like to keep using my ethernet card.  The
BDI disk that I have contains a kernel that I don't think has any
support for my card (not to mention my SCSI disk).

So the dilemma is:  do I flail away at compiling a kernel that will run
on the faster computer, or do I give up and just go with the BDI minus
the network?  Neither appeals to me very much.  At the moment I'm
holding out little hope that I can survive another few hours of kernel
mayhem.  On the other hand, if somebody is running the same
RH6.2/2.2.12-20 that I am and can shed some light, maybe.

Well, thanks for listening.

Regards,
Patrick

ps - Ray, I do have that X shutdown problem with my disk.  Maybe I'll
wait and try it again with the newer version?