(re)compiling from source

Can someone give me a hint on compiling from source. I am an
unexperienced linux user. Have taken the following steps:

I need to update because Fred Proctor made some changes for our
particular use.

Retreived and installed developers version of BDI. Retreived source from
sourceforge (on a WIN98 machine) on nov 29

Copied the  EMC and RCSLIB directories to linux machine to the
/usr/local/

went into emc/src directory as root and gave command  $ make
PLAT=rtlinux_3_0 all

Get all kinds of error messages like

exraneous text after 'endif' directive etc. including line numbers from
the makefile where the error occurs. And then it stops

If I use the old source (june 16 2001) which comes with the bdi,  the
command "make etc." does seem to work o.k.

I cheated and exchanged makefiles but that doesn't work.

Does the RCSLIB also have to be compiled? and if so how?
Is there an error in the emc/src makefile?

Could someone give a golden clue?

Chris Elshout