Re: Boot Disk from BDI

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 01:54:01PM -0500, Jack Ensor wrote:

> Second question:
>   I understand that it is necessary to put linux on drive C.
> If this is true then I see a problem with my intentions.  I plan to
> set up a new computer in addition to the machine computer (which is
> set up only with BDI).  On the new computer I want to install the BDI
> for experimental purposes,  a full fledged Linux Red Hat 7.0, and
> Windows98, then use a LiLo start up.  Is this possible? Can I have
> the three different systems in three different partitions?
>
> Jack Ensor

it is quite possible to insstall linux and windows on the same drive.

what I do is to install linux first, and use disk druid to
give me a boot partition (~50m) then a windows partition as primary
partitions in that order.
then give linux a swap partition and a root partition, perhaps more for var
, usr and home if you feel inclined.  (I don't bother with
var/usr/home unless its a main servr or a firewall)

generate a boot floppy when asked.

then install windows. It will plug itself into the windows partition
and overwrite the lilo on the MBR.

then reinstall lilo using either the boot floppy you made earlier, or
just the linux install cd in rescue mode.  I use rescue mode.

note that rh7.0 is old, 7.1 or .2 are better and have fewer gcc
issues.

installing windows freshly, and then using parted to shrink the windows
partition to make room for linux at the disk end also works, but can
be trickier. And needs a newish bios that understands big disks.

and bdi might be happier over a 6.2 install.

john