Re: (re)compiling from source

Hi Chris

I would recommend creating a completely new directory for the CVS sources,
from the command line do:-

mkdir -p /home/CVS
cp /usr/local/compile /home/CVS
(Now copy both the rcslib and emc sources in to the /home/CVS directory)
cd /home/CVS/rcslib
./buildrcs linux_2_2_18
./buildrcs rtlinux_3_0
cd /home/CVS
./compile

A quick explanation of each line would probably help you on your way...
mkdir -p  creates the new directory. The p switch forces the creation of
/home if it does not exist.
cp /usr/local/compile copies the BDI compile script to your new directory.
cd - Do I need say more ?
./buildrcs linux_2_2_18 compiles the RCS libraries for the current linux
kernel.
./buildrcs rtlinux_3_0 does the same thing for the parts required for the
realtime kernel. The RCS libs are a set of messaging functions for passing
data between a nonrealtime application and the realtime subsystem. EMC also
uses the same functions for many of it's internal message passing.
./compile is nothing more than a shell script to automate the various makes
in EMC.

If you make any changes to the EMC sources, you need not do the buildrcs bits
unless any changes were made here also.

Assuming the build was successfull, open a console window in your desktop
and:-
cd /home/CVS/emc
./emc.run

If you allready have an ini file that works for your paticular setup, copy it
into the new emc directory and use the relevant run script.

Be warned - The CVS sources can contain bugs, and may not allways compile. To
log any errors produced during the compile, append :-
2> error.log
to each ./build and ./compile - All this does is to redirect any error
messages from the compiler to a text file called error.log (overwriting any
file of that name).

Regards, Paul.

BTW Want to know what a command does ?
           Type "man <command>" and scroll through the page. Press "q" to
           quit.  A lot of it is dry and rather terse, but usefull all the
           same. What does man do ?? - Type:-
man man