Re: what cad/cam package

In a message dated 10/1/2001 11:17:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jrsheahan-at-optushome.com.au writes:

<< Hi list

 I'm tring to figure out what CAD and CAM packages people are actually
 using successfully out there with EMC.  What should I buy / use.

 what works for you?

 preferably is anything useable under linux yet?

 If I get a few responses I'll summarize it for the handbook, if thats
 useful.

 regards, John

Hi John,
as a former SmartCAM, CAMAX, and SDRC IDEAS dealer, I can shed a bit of light
on CAM systems.

MasterCAM is one of the better packages out there.
SurfCAM is good and was a 5-axis system earlier than most.
SmartCAM while not officially sold is still available for a very good price.
Just no support from the factory. (Freeform is still one of the best
surfacing packages.)
CAMAX CAMMAND is no longer being sold but was a favorite for 5 axis work by
turbine blade and other heavy 5 axis work.
EdgeCAM is probably the best lathe package with a strong mill package with
mediocre advertising and support in the USA. British users can dispute this
all they wish, but in the US, it is poor.
Virtual Gibbs is easy to use to make most work, cumbersome on some issues,
and post processors have been an isssue with some users.

That being said, the most important thing to get is access the post processor
section. SmartCAM was a favorite early on because you could modify the post
processor at will. Depending on the machines you owned, this was either of no
concern or absolute importance. Major machines were always supported, but if
you needed a special post, it could take major efforts to get a post that
programmed in a way that worked, or God fordid, you wanted it to come out
resembling any of the hand written programs your staff was used to reading.
The EMC allows us to make all kinds of machinery. This is even more important
to to have access to the post generator. Posts are dependant on the CAM
system understanding the motions required to place the cutter on the part,
and the post generating the required code.

If you are building a 3-axis router or retrofitting a bridgeport type mill,
then BobCAD is a excellent choice and cheap.Partiularly if you are doing 2.5
axis (where programming of moves in feed mode are limited to only 2 axis at a
time).

I am in the process of retofitting a bridgeport type mill with servo motors
and then will work on a few specialized machine ideas. MasterCAM is my
current choice, but may change if the machine motions become a problem. I
personally support the idea of an open source CAM package as a way of
bringing the CAD/CAM/CNC control idea together.If you havce ever ran Okuma's
IGF for lathes, of FANUC's FAPT to a lesser degree, you can understand the
convenience of having a background conversational control and the ability to
do things like cut vice or chuck jaws quickly that would normally be manually.

Fred Harmon