From: joe bury
To: Multiple recipients of list
Sent: 6/11/01 6:19:16 PM
Subject: Re: Home switch oddities

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001, Joe and Jason wrote:
>>Hello List,
>>    We have just installed BDI EMC. Everything went well. However we >are
>>still experiencing the same problem we had with other installs.
>>    When we set the home switch polarities so that emc thinks its >setting
>>on the home switch when we home we don't get the green letters.>

>What color letters do you get when you first start up?

On startup of EMC we have Yellow letters.

>Does it come out of estop and show "ESTOP RESET" when you press f1 or
> >click
>on estop off?
>Does it show "ON" as the label in the estop button when you press f2 or
>click on machine on?

Our machine has a slight creep when it is powered up, and when we bring
EMC out of e-stop and machine on it then takes control of the machine
and corrects the creep (holds it still).

>Does anything happen when you press home?

Depending on the home switch polarity, EMC will either immediately give
a following error, OR it will start moving in the direction set by
homing_polarity, and when it hits the switch it gives a following error.

>Do you have motors and encoders connected?

We tried it both ways. Shouldnt it work both ways? By toggling the home
switch polarity we should be able to get green letters even with nothing
hooked up. Am I correct in thinking this? It behaves this way when set
to use the parallel port, or if the ini stg_base_address is set to
something OTHER than the hardware stg base address (jumpers).

>I went back and looked over the ini that you posted with the earlier
>request in Feb.  You say that this is an stg2 board but you are using an
>earlier version of the stg driver code.  If you look in
>emc/plat/realtime/lib you will find all of the possibilities listed as
>stg***.o.
>
>1 - My guess is that you need to use stg_v2_8axis_mod.o or stg2mod.o
>in your ini but these are only guesses.
>
>2 - Why do you use 0x240 as the base address for the board?
>
>3 - There is a P = 0 in the third axis definition.  This would quickly
>cause a following error fault if you have motors and encoders connected.
>
>4 - There are several differences between axes for switch and fault
>polarity definitions that might cause problems with getting it out of
> >estop
>and homed out if you don't really have switches connected that way.
>Ray

1. I looked for those stg***.o files you mentioned. They were in the
emc/plat/realtime/lib directory like you said, but when I try to use them in
the ini, it cant find them (it is looking in emc/plat/realtime/bin, not lib)
What steps do I have to do to be able to use these files.

2. We used 240 because it is what the stg shipped with. We have tried lots
of other addresses as well. the /proc/ioports listing is very incomplete,
but as far as I can tell there is no conflict... any other way I can check
besides ioports?

3. We only have two axes anyhow. Even taking the third axis out of the ini
completely doesnt fix it.

4. Any differences in the Feb. ini for switch settings were for experimental
purposes. We tried lots of variations for the polarities, but even with NO
inputs connected one of them should have still homed. (Right?)

Am I explaining this clearly? Let me know.

-Joe