No Subject

Hello all,

For the past couple of months I've been proceeding to convert a Bridgeport
(Moog Hydrapoint, actually) to EMC. (August 2000, I think) RTLinux 2.3
/Servo-To-Go II, with Emerson FX/DX490 servo drive and motor pairs.

I'd like to make use of the Mitutoyo ADS2 absolute scales on the mill to
read positioning data into EMC. The scales use a capacitive read-head unit,
which communicates with the DRO serially. My thought is to poll the
read-head using its serial protocol, and read that data into EMC's
positioning feedback loop.

     From talking to a tech person at Mitutoyo, the serial data wouldn't be
blazingly fast, but the DRO unit is supposed to keep accuracy up to one
meter per second. Another little quirk - he faxed me some schematics,
pinouts, and protocol info, but the clock rate for the data spacing was on a
page not faxed. (It was a long time getting this much info...)

Does the PC seria! l port have enough speed for this, and how would it need to
be meshed into EMC?

(I probably should ask - What's 'e-mail speak' for "I think I'm in way over
my head"?)

Thanks,

Do You Yahoo!?