Re: emc build questions

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:34:49 -0400 (EDT), terrylr-at-blauedonau.com said:

>  hello;
>
>  would someone be able to provide the reasoning
>  behind there not being a 'CPLUSPLUS_EXTENSION'
>  defined in any of the rcslib/etc/rtlinux*.def
>  files?
>
>  (well actually it is defined to be nil/null/empty/...
>  it is just not defined to be something like 'cc', 'cpp',
>  ..)
>
>  when source code is copied to rcslib/plat/rtlinux_X/src
>  the file goes from:
>
>  <filename>.cc to <filename>.
>
>  this really seems 'odd' to me.

Its a mistake. Go ahead and change it. I never noticed it probably because you
can't compile C++ files
for rtlinux (in fact most of our .c files can't be compiled for rtlinux). It
should actually  only copy  a fairly small number of .c files over.
This is why there are numerous

ifeq (rtlinux, $findstring(rtlinux, $(PLAT)))

in the makefiles that prevent these files from being copied or compiled for
rtlinux.

>  also. why is rcs_defs.h not copied to
>  rcslib/plat/rtlinux_X/include but the sources files
>  which depend on it are copied to rcslib/plat/rtlinux_X/src ?
>  classic example is rcslib/src/cms/tcpproxy.cc which dies
>  a painful death because rcs_defs.h is not found in
>  rcslib/plat/rtlinux_X/include.

Again you can't really compile tcpproxy.cc for rtlinux even if you have the
right header files.
(Well maybe you can compile it but the program won't run in real-time so there
isn't much point.)

There should be a  ifeq in the top-level makefile to prevent the make from even
trying to compile
tcpproxy for rtlinux.

>  --
>  Terry L. Ridder
>  Blue Danube Artistic Forge (Blaue Donau Kunstschmiede)
>  "We do not bend metal, we sculpture it."
>
>  digging deep, i feel my conscience burn
>  i need to know who and what i am
>  this hunger jolts me from complacency
>  rocks me, makes me meet myself
>  ----kendall payne---closer to myself---

William Penn Shackleford III			shackle-at-nist.gov
National Institute of Standards & Technology	Tel:	(301) 975-4286
100 Bureau Drive Stop 8230			FAX:	(301) 990-9688
Gaithersburg MD  20899	USA
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/shackleford/
Office Location: Bldg. 220 Rm A253