Re: Help for a new EMC user

Tim

You are correct that the max limit error message is polarity in the ini
file.  These messages should not stop tkemc from displaying.

The section of tkemc that looks for default values in x11r6/app_defaults
never did work for me.  It will read the TkEmc file in emc for default
values.  You should be able to ignore or comment out that if statement
as well.

I'd like to see the contents of emc/plat/linux_2_0_36/bin directory.  You
can show the contents from emc by typing in: (l is a lowercase L)

ls -l plat/linux_2_0_36/bin

It should spit out a bunch of file names, sizes, and permissions.

If his ./install fails to find some extended tcl files, it will miss build
emcsh and iosh.  Those tcl files should be there in the RH install but if
not it will make some garbage.

You might try asking for xemc rather than tkemc in the display section of
the ini file and see if the gui window comes up.

You might also try the August emcbin release for 2.0.36.   That would get
you around any compile problems that he might be faced with.  It worked
well for me here.  But you would need to add the newer variables to your
ini files or edit the new emc.ini to match your setup.

Ray