Re: Copyright

> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:38:14 -0400 (EDT)
> Originator: emc-at-nist.gov
> From: Cheng-Chang Wu <chengchangwu-at-yahoo.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <emc-at-nist.gov>
> Subject: Copyright
>

> Hello,
>
>    I see from the home page linuxcnc.org that EMC is a
> open source project. But I can't find the copyright of
> it.
>    It seems to me that EMC is a product of the
> govermant, so it is only for american firms? If it is
> really so, it can not
>    a open source project accroding to the definition.
> "Open Source" is already a trademark in USA with a
> good definition.
>
>    I'm writing this e-mail because I like the idea of
> EMC, but I want to respect the copyright law of USA.
> I'm
> considering to start a CNC project if EMC is not a
> really open source project.
>
>    Best regards
>
> Cheng-Chang Wu

> http://im.yahoo.com/

EMC is "public domain". Since it was produced primarily by the US government
by law it can't be copywrited.

It can be used by non-US firms.

In fact unlike most GPL copywrited code, it can be used  as part of a commercial
application and there is no requirement that such an application release its
source code.

BTW. The  term "Open Source" is not copywrited anymore. See

http://www.opensource.org/press_releases/certified-open-source.html

In short, You can safely use EMC without fear of violating a copywrite.

However, EMC is not OSI certified, and probably won't be anytime soon.

-- Will

William Penn Shackleford III			shackle-at-nist.gov
National Institute of Standards & Technology	Tel:	(301) 975-4286
100 Bureau Drive Stop 8230  			FAX:	(301) 990-9688
Gaithersburg MD  20899  USA
http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/personnel/shackleford/
Office Location: Bldg. 220 Rm A253