Copyright

Hi, Ray,

>Ray:
>I personally would like to see you contribute to EMC
>rather that spend a lot of time writing your own
>machine control.But you should
>feel free to use any part of the current EMC in any
>way that you want.

I'd like to contribute to EMC, that's why I wrote the
e-mail:-)

>Do you feel that you need gpl or some other copyleft
>protection for
>the work that you want to do?  Public domain is no
>protection at all!

Public domain is OK with me. I like GPL very much, but
I don't think it is the best copyright for a project
like EMC. Six years ago I worked for a small machine
tool company for four years. They needed a NC
controller for their special machine. The controller
had to work with their technologies. I couldn't have
opened ALL the source code, because that would have
revealed their secrets. There are many such small
companies. They have technologies and special
machines, but they have very few programmers. An
open-source solution is great for them, but they need
to keep their technolgies in secret in order to be
able to compete with large companies. A large company
don't need open source.

I have just read FSF's comments about various licenses
at http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/license-list.html.
But I can still not decide which license is good for
EMC. Perhaps pulbic domain is already good enough for
me.

Best Regards

Cheng-Chang Wu