Re: BDI candidate...

I am fast gaining a *real* dislike for RPM packaging in general, and Red Hat
in particular. The principles behind RPMs are great - Having a list of
dependencies built in, and the ability to declare the functions that are
provided (in a meta-data header) is usefull. two things let the rpm thing
down.
1) No standard for the required/provided dependencies, and circular
dependecies allowed.
2) Red Hat can, and indeed has already done so, change the rpm program and
remove compatapility with earlier versions. i.e. rpm-Ver_3 can not use
rpm-Ver_4 generated packages.

What are the alternatives ? Debian is stable and well respected, and has
better control over the meta-data headers. Installing is not for the faint
hearted or the true green newbie (it even scares me).

RPM based distros such as Mandrake, Altlinux, SuSE, and others, share the
same basic problem as Red Hat. Most of the mainstream distros have an easy to
use GUI installer with reliable hardware detection.

Source based distros, Gentoo, Sorcerer, Arch, (LFS if you really want to be a
masochist) all require a degree of Linux knowledge, and certainly do not
qualify for the BDI tag.

Did try out slackware several years ago on a DOS partition. How easy it is to
install or use noe, I can not comment.

Finally, there are the growing number of Live CD distros - Some are hand
built from picking over the file system of a real box. Others have their
roots in the Debian system. A great way of distributing a demo, full of
pitfalls to maintain, and for the end user to upgrade, difficult without
knowledge of Linux.

A final nail in future RH based BDI discs is their intent to reduce the
"product life" of each major release (I believe, around one year), and stop
supporting older releases shortly after. At the end of the day, RH are a
business and need to maximize their revenue streams. Possibly the reason
behind the plethora of EULA texts on the current CDs.

I have no desire to start an evils-of-RPM vs evils-of-Deb or source vs live
CD debate - There will be a new BDI at NAMES, along with BDI-2.xx & TNG, and
that is all I will say on the subject for now.

Regards, Paul.

--

"To err is human...to really f*** things up requires the root password."