Re: EMC compatible computers

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 02:32 pm, JohnK wrote:
> > I tend to agree with JohnK here about the location of
> > the running motion modules of the EMC being in close
> > proximity to the devices that they control.  It is
> > appealing however, to have a tkemc copying the machine's
> > behavior from that "normal PC" there at that comfortable
> > desk.
>
> Is this tkemc in addition to or instead of a user interface
> at the machine?  What if someone at the desk starts the
> machine after a user at the machine stopped it for a tool
> change?  I assume there is a way for the local operator
> to prevent remote starts.

Tkemc is the default user interface.  It uses a c program connector to
the NML which is the language that modules of the software use to talk to
each other.  It is written in Tool Command Lanugage, Tcl/Tk, or tickle.
This stuff is very nice because it has been written to run in a very
similar fashion regardless of the hardware that it is running on.

> > Frank called me last fall.  He and was sitting in his
> > air conditioned kitchen, drinking a bottle of his
> > favorite and watching his machine work away outside
> > in the 100+ f heat.  This is a real good place for a
> > portable that allow you to see and control the machine
> > from a distance.
>
> I hope he has an e-stop button in his kitchen, and that
> his machine is located in an area where kids, cats, etc,
> can't walk up to it while he is 100' away.

The whole idea of remote running of a machine tool does seem a bit
surprising at first encounter.  Several have mentioned safety as a
problem with these kinds of applications.

> > The nice thing about the EMC is that you can split the
> > tasks up in many different ways.  As someone mentioned,
> > it appeals to the tinkerer in me also.
>
> I wasn't aware of that level of flexibility.  Very cool,
> as long as the safety aspects have been addressed.

That's probably why the commercial pendents have a real e-stop button on
them.