Re: second computer for DRO readout

Hi Alex

A small hack that sets an IO line high when the trajectory cycle is entered
and resets at the end allows me to see exactly how long it takes. On an
Athlon 1800, the calculations are completed in around 20uS - With a cycle
time of 1000uS, plenty of time is left for other tasks.
The pulse generation task takes very little time in comparison, so PERIOD can
go as low as 8uS without degrading the overall performance of the computer
too much.

Whilst an 1800MHz processor is probably not the usual choice for an EMC
control, I would expect a P266 would still have more than sufficient power to
run freqmod and all the other usual processes.

Using the parallel port to comunicate with the encoder counters is a
realistic option - To interface the encoders directly to the port is not.

If you need any help with the EMC Makefiles, just give me a shout off list.

Regards, Paul.