Re: Fwd: pulse train

Hi Scot

The top pulse rate is limited by a number of factors - Type and size of
stepper motors, the drivers (bipolar or unipolar) and the input voltage. Also
another thing to affect performance is the motherboard chipset (onboard video
sharing main memory is bad).
These points aside, I have had a Celeron 600 running with PERIOD set to
16uSec which equates to a theroretical pulse limit of 31250Hz. An Athlon 1800
ran at ~7uSec (71500Hz pulse rate), but this left precious little time to do
anything else. Yet, even on the Athlon, I ended up setting PERIOD to 40uSec
when tuning EMC for a Sherline mill.

The maximum pulse rate from a 667Mhz P3 is likely to be well above what can
be used. To get some idea of the maximum pulse rate required, use the formula:

                 1
   2 X MAX_VELOCITY X INPUT_SCALE

Where MAX_VELOCITY is in inchess per Sec
and INPUT_SCALE is the steps per inch.

Regards, Paul.