Re: Modifying EMC interface for lathe (x and z) display Thanks to all.

Howard

I believe that the var file uses tool diameter values but does it's comp
based on the radius.  This should work as well for lathes as it does for
mills.

Some of the confusion comes in the fact that lathes run the x value as a
diameter rather than a direct distance.  A 0.1 move with the handwheel is
only 0.05 in distance but 0.1 change in diameter for the finished part.
You can achieve the same effect with EMC if you double the x axis
input_scale.  You just have to remember that 1 inch isn't an inch anymore
so you need to set the soft limits and such to account for it..

I have seen a number of Sherline mills and at least one lathe run with
the EMC software.  Several folk on this list have them and there are a
couple Sherline dealers hereabout as well.  There is not a great deal of
cost involved in doing this.  I'd certainly use the Sherline motor mounts
because they provide good alignment between the motors and shafts without
any fiddling at all.

I have run Sherline steppers using "slave mode" on the Sherline index
controller.  There is a small jitter problem with this because the index
controller puts out four microsteps for each step pulse put in.   It
works well when the commands come from the indexer itself because it
knows how fast to spit out the pulses to match the next step pulse.
Unfortunately it does not know how to pace these pulses in "slave mode"
so spits them all out at once.  Hence the bit of jitter and noisy
stepping when you try contouring with them.

Matt Shaver has added limit and home switches to the NIST mill.  If you
want these for teaching purposes contact him.

If that bridgeport clone uses steppers and you can get access to input
step and direction signals to the drive amps,  it would not be a
difficult task to set up a parallel EMC to the existing control with the
"much less efficient and elegant interface."

Ray