Re: EMC and Red Hat 8.0

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 06:52, Sivaraj wrote:

There are a whole bunch of warnings about the license not being set on
the kernel modules. I think these can be ignored. So the first serious
problem I see is

emctaskmain.cc 2458: can't initialize motion

The user level task program needs to send a series of commands to the
real time motion level to set the various scale factors etc. After each
command it expects a response and if it waits too long for that response
you will see the message above and the task program will try to shutdown
which causes the rest of the processes to fall like dominoes and most of
the remaining error messages.

I would make sure the controller is running. To do so run

./install_realtime_base
/sbin/insmod -f plat/rtlinux_3_2/lib/steppermod.o
plat/linux_2_4_18/bin/usrmot

At the usrmot  prompt enter "show" a couple of times it should increase
by at least a 100 ticks every second or something is seriously wrong
with with the controllers scheduling. In which case rtlinux may be
suffering from the same problem rtai has and you may want to try using
the 2.95 version of gcc as Paul suggested.