Re: control panel

sounds like a good place for a small microcontroler to read the
switches and stuff commands in thru the serial port
testing could be done with a seperate PC running a terminal
emulator program
that would offload most of the work and free the keyboard for
typing only
there are plenty of little PIC projects on the net that just read
switches or pots and send the values to the serial port

I would keep the direct machine controls (E-Stop ,home ,limits) on
the parallel port but most of the HMI stuff could be moved around

Brian
--
"Nemo me impune lacesset"