new listmember

Hello all.  I just joined the list.  I'm interested in adapting a Rong-Fu
RF-45 mill-drill to CNC using the em.

A little background on me:
Mechanical Engineer

20 yrs doing PCs and computer networks professionally

I have a mild programming background.

I am familiar with Linux.  I can re-compile a kernel.  Very familiar with
PC hardware at a low level (I worked at Compaq in Systems Engineering).

I've never attempted anything like this before.

Any feedback on the choice of the Rong-Fu RF-45 would be appreciated.  I
have *not* purchased the mill-drill yet.  What I am looking for is
milling/drilling performance as close to a Bridgeport Series 1 as possible
that can be reasonably easily moved (I'm not in a permanent location yet)
and preferably uses 1 phase 220 -- 3-phase is simply not available at my
location.  If anyone has any info or feedback on the RF mill-drills or
other similar machines I would very much appreciate the feedback.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Once I get the mill-drill CNC working I'd like to do similar with a small
13x40 or 14x40 bench lathe.  Suggestions regarding these small lathes would
be welcome, too.

My application is ultimately commercial (I have a transmission to 4x4
transfer case adapter designed as well as some other products), not hobby.

Thanks all!

Clarke Williams
<clarkewilliams-at-halcyon.com>
Coos Bay, OR