RE: RTLinux vs RTAI and EMC

Dale,

If you take a 500 line encoder (not a particularly high resolution) that
gives you 2000 steps per motor rev. Now is you have 2:1 belt reduction
(very common. But on the low side for most servos motor for best
performance) that puts you at 4000 steps per screw turn. Now if you are
using 10 tpi acme screws (again a common setup) you now have 40000 steps
per inch of travel. So if you want only 60 ipm you need 40 kHz.
Certainly not a very impresive rapid rate, but sure will push freqmod.

Tim
[Denver, CO]