Re: Jog wheel (with code attached)

On Monday 03 June 2002 19:45, you wrote:
> I had no idea one of these existed much less was being used.  I see that
> the code uses 0x201 for the address of the joystick.  Is this always the
> location of those signals in a pc?  I do see something there when I look at
> that address with IO_Exercise.

0x201 is the standard address for the game port sometimes given as a range
from 0x200-0x207 (on win9x)
on sound cards its usualy fixed but if the port is on the motherboard
it can sometimes be changed in the bios (0x200 or 0x208 on this one)

the pins are normaly pulled high ,any write will pull the analog pins down
to let the timer caps recharge thru the joystick pots and the button pins are
pulled low when the button is pressed

> I tried to compile handwheel.c on my BDI 2.14 pc and got a whole stack of
> errors.  Since I am mostly c illiterate I'll send these on in the hopes
> that someone can make sense of them.

I'll look into them
I had just cut-n-pasted most of that code together from other files but hadnt
tried to compile it on its own yet

> If you plan to launch this code into the public domain or GPL, am I correct
> that this file should go into the emc/src/emcio directory and that we
> should add a line to the makefile there so that it is compiled with the
> rest of the EMC?

umm.. public domain and I guess emcio or emctask , its more of a user
interface accessory than a machine function

> When we get this working, the script to start it should only take a very
> few lines.  Handwheel already tests for manual mode and uses reported axis,
> increment, and jogspeed so IMHO the script can just be an on/off toggle and
> a loop.

yes if you load it from the emc.run script at startup and it could be
used with any of the UIs

Brian