Compilation problems for a new board

Hi all,
I have two questions.

I have just installed the BDI, and I am trying to write the software
interface for a different board. I have exchanged few mails with Ray, then
following his suggestions, I decided to go public to the list.
As the first step of this process I tryed to compile without any changes in
order to be sure to have a working source tree.
Since at the moment I am interested to the hardware interface, I decided to
compile the emcmot directory only, changing to that directory ad issuing a
make as in:
cd /usr/local/emc/src/emcmot
make PLAT=rtai

Now, I got few "No such file" for include files and I had to make some copy.
Particularly I copied (from where they were):
posemath.h into /usr/local/rcslib/rtai(include
emcpos.h into /usr/local/emc/plat/rtai/include
extintf.h into /usr/local/emc/plat/rtai/include
sim.h into /usr/local/emc/plat/rtai/include
parport.h into /usr/local/emc/plat/rtai/include
I don't know if all this is correct or if it was better to add more include
paths to the compiler, but it worked. (Actually I didn't dare to change the
Makefile and preferred to copy ...)

But when it went to link I got an error that
/usr/local/emc/plat/rtai/lib/libpm.a was missing. The copy solution did not
work because I don't have such a library in my whole hard disk. (I did a
find / -name libpm.a)
What I am doing wrong? And this is the first question.

After this problem is fixed I will try to add a couple of files for my
board (i.e. Ax4.c and Ax4.h) and I will have to add them to the makefile. I
have a general understanding of how makefiles work and I am able to make
small changes, but this particular makefile, have too many references and
different cases and environment varibles set idontknowwhere ... that I find
it difficult to follow. Can somebody give me some hint where to do the
smallest changes in order to add a new board to the pack? And this is the
second question.

Thank you very much for your help.
Mau.

Maurizio Ferraris                ferring-at-inrete.it
Via Borgonuovo 27                mau-at-studioferraris.it
10040 GIVOLETTO TO ITALY         http://www.studioferraris.it
Public key: http://www.studioferraris.it/Files/Maurizio.asc