Re: EMC Cookbook

Matt,
I have two phone lines, but short emails do pretty well for me.  If you
need my phone number, email me privately and I will send it.

Here is how I currently deal with CAD/CAM and EMC in my shop:
There are network cables running through my house, with a hub in the
middle.  One machine runs Windows 98 exclusively, with Autocad and Vector
CAM on it.  At this machine, I do drawings and generate G-code.  There is a
program called FTP Works that is used to send the G-code program to the
others.  The other computers are dual boot Win 95/Linux machines that
normally boot to Linux.  They are the EMC machines.  Normally, I run back
and forth, between the shop (in one section of the basement) and the Win 98
machine to make changes.  Sometime the changes are just minor and could be
done with a better G-code editor-which I sure don't expect NIST to develop,
since it's something that we should learn to do.
Sometimes I write G-code at the controls, ie while looking at a piece of
something that is clamped in the vise, just as I set the origin
coordinates.  I like to be able to come up with some things on the fly, and
improvise a bit, as if the machine were a great chisel or hand plane.  This
is were a good editor and graphical interface would come in handy.

Thanks,
Dan