Re: Latest EMC version

Fred Proctor wrote:

> HOWEVER, this only tells the LINUX processes (e.g., shvtask) where to
> find the RT Linux process. RT Linux processes can't read ini files since
> they don't have access to the file system. They need to be provided with
> this on the 'insmod' command line, e.g.,
>
> insmod -f plat/rtlinux_09J/lib/shavermod.o SHMEM_BASE_ADDRESS=0x3F00000

Ah ha!  I think this is something I missed before!

> If you omit the SHMEM_BASE_ADDRESS setting, the default of 0x1F00000 (31
> MB) is used. The -f means ignore kernel version mismatches.

The -f, too, is something I didn't know about.

> insmod -f plat/rtlinux_09J/lib/minimod.o STG_BASE_ADDRESS=0x300
>
> The board's default is 0x200, so if you omit it this value will be used.
> Note that the ini file doesn't have an entry for this since it's only
> used by RT Linux.

Oh, that's what I get for going from memory!  I saw the 0x300 and thought,
that's the right address, why doesn't it work.  But, my card is at the
default, 200.  So, that explains that little quirk.

Anyway, thanks for the above info.  I got it to work mostly by
trial and error.  I have a modified version of my old script working,
but I'd like to get the new script working with the protections
against running 2 copies of any of the components, the lock
file, etc.  Now, armed with some understanding, I should be able
to make that work.

I have been referring a bunch of people who get in touch with me
about servo CNC conversions and RS-274 interpreters to the
EMC web site.  I also made up a screen copy of the xEMC
window for someone who asked.  It is now at
 http://ascc.artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/EMC.html

You might also be interested in seeing my web page for the
Bridgeport conversion at
 http://ascc.artsci.wustl.edu/~jmelson/CNCconv.html

Thanks again,