RE: regarding future plans for EMC

As far as other hardware - I have thought about building a servo interface
(actually similar to STG, though I was looking into some of those devices
before I saw STG's info) using the USDigital encoder chips - a couple 2 axis
encoder chips and then figure out what D2A converter along with a 8255 or 2
for I/O. The only thing I haven't worked out is the necesary safety timeout
(heartbeat monitor) so things could be shut down gracefully in a system
crash. I would rather kill the drives rather than have things run off on
their own...

I have a Cleveland Motion Controls 3 axis ServoPak 150 and some old encoders
that I would like to be able to control.

The encoder chips are approx $25 apiece for 2 axis, probably $10 apiece for
A2D Converters, the 8255's from the junkbox, I think I can still get an ISA
building card for under $30. another $50 for the remaining pieces parts. So
maybe some time and less $200 I could have something to play with. I would
like to find someone who would just love to donate a STG card... The price
of the STG seems to be fair, but I think I could manage to come up  with a
couple hundred to play where $800 is a little harder to justify around the
house...

Probably the STG card is more cost effective, but how would you convince
your wife that it was money well spent?

Pete