EMC documentation

List

I want to give you a brief background on the linuxcnc.org/handbook and then
ask for your help.

Long ago, in computer terms, someone proposed an electronic cookbook that
would tell folk how to setup and apply the EMC to mills and such.  Within a
couple of days, cookbook got changed to handbook and Dan Falck rented
LinuxCNC.org and com.  Steve Stallings was nice enough to locate them on his
server.

We set up a repository on OpenAvenue and a few signed up to help.  OpenAvenue
went the way of several other dot coms and we began setting up directories
and passwords for anyone who wanted to contribute by ftp directly to the
linuxcnc.org site.  Many times though I feel like I have been a bottleneck to
development of the EMC documentation and would like to set up a new
repository so that any can get full access to writing, editing, and
translating.

My thought now is to add a doc directory to sourceforge at the same level as
the emc and the rcslib.  Below that would be a handbook directory containing
all of the marked up and conformed, ready and nearly ready to publish,
document files.    A tempdoc directory would hold any format and content that
needs to be placed in the handbook but is not in proper markup.  Below these,
we could easily create language specific versions, or allow language specific
tags within a single file.

Current copies of the published versions, html, pdf, etc would be available
on the linuxcnc.org site or people could get the latest versions directly
from the sourceforge repository.

I've been talking with Henkka, the FAQ coordinator, for a while about a
format.  We sorta settled on DocBook SGML.  Below is a post from Henkka
describing what he has accomplished in this direction with the FAQ.

If you have any time that you can spare, would you follow the link at the end
of his post, dig around a bit, and comment back to the list about what you
think.

Thanks for your time.