RE: PCI I/O cards

Thanks for all the advice regarding the above issue.

My EMC application at this time is not a milling machine, but rather a
BurgMaster Houdaille drilling table with a turette. The X Y Z axis limits
are 144", 48", and 12" respectively. The turette has 8 limit switches (one
for each tool). Each axis has a brake.

I am collaborating with someone local who does C programming and has
controls experience.
We will be using a second monitor and keyboard for the remote operator
station instead of keeping the existing remote pendant with its manual
pushbuttons, selector switchs, and indicators.
We will now be able to use the STG cards 32 I/O without any other PCI cards.
My original reasoning for using the second I/O card was the following:
	1. I didn't want to modify what is already done for the STG card.
	2. I didn't want to use the parallel port.
	3. I wanted to move the existing parallel port logic to a second I/O card
and then add the logic needed to keep an existing remote pendant.
	    (The total I/O count would have been more than the 32 on the STG card)
We've now decided to enclose a 15" NEC flat screen monitor in a box with a
window for a second display. I am mounting a relay controlled switch-box for
a second keyboard. A touch screen would be ideal here and it may become an
option in the future.

I have spent much time deciding how to uprgrade this machine - and three
others in the future.  I have spent alot of time trying to bring myself
up-to-speed with the EMC project and I don't expect to get everything right
without a mistake or two along the way.  I have found a lot of good
information on this list; although it does take time to seperate out the
important and relevant.

I thank all those who contribute time and expertise to the questions posted
here. (Now if more of the information could be put into an up-to-date and
complete handbook, the world would be a better place.)

Kurtis