RE: Motion control over RS-232

>> The feedback is needed for the servo, right? The stepper just gets steps
>> and direction. No feedback. (other than reference switches or end stops)

>I recently acquired some very nice stepper motors that have HEDS encoders
on
>them.  Is there a way to interface these encoders with EMC?  I already have
>a circuit to take the step and direction commands and drive the steppers.

Yes to both questions.  Second question first: there is the capability to
use the Kaluga board (see Dan Mauch for a kit) and step/direction.

First question:  To have a motion controller hanging off of a serial port
does not fit in to the current structure of EMC.  The reason for EMC is to
_be_ the motion controller.  Having said that, I'm sure that EMC could be
modified greatly and use an external motion controller.
Eric