BDI history (was: Z axis Offsets)

Hi Tim

A short history of the BDI project -

The phrase Brain Dead Install was coined by Dave Land back in February 2000
for a way of getting a computer up and running with EMC. Due to certain
heated debates on the CCED list, the project died a death. This, I have
always considered as Version 1, maybe it would have been better labeled Ver 0.

Over the Christmass, New Year 2001 period, I was playing around with Mandrake
and looking at what made the install shell tick. Finding it to be a real
fight to understand Perl and the way the install functioned, I decided to
give RedHat a go. After some initial success with RH, and with a lot
encouragement from Ray Henry, some beta disks were dispatched to a select
band of UK testers. By the end of March, and after several changes I felt the
CD was at a stage where it was ready for distribution, so an announcement was
made on the 1st April. To this day, I'm surprised that not one wag passed
comment on the timing !

Version 2.04 was quite a success, and with copies sent to all corners of the
world, some bugs have been reported. These have been fixed, and as extra
packages have been requested, the version number has been incremented to the
current 2.10 release.

For the future, I'm currently working with RTAI, RedHat 7.2 (beta), and the
latest CVS sources. I doubt if this will make it to a BDI release, as I find
much of the hardware that works with RH6.x crashes or fails to work at all.
A 2.2.19 kernel with rtlinux-3.1 is however, likely to be featured on the
next CD. XFree86-4 might be included, but only in an updates directory as
binary and source tarballs - No easy to use RPMs.

If there are any requests for utilities and "must have" packages, let me
know, and I will endeavor to add them to BDI-2.12.

Regards, Paul.