Re: Using DRO data for feedback for a stepper drive

EMC will handle encoder feedback on a stepper system, but it
needs a plug in card, sold by Camtronics, and designed by Tom
Kluga (spelling?) Under $100.00 I think. The problem with this
is, if an axis is lagging due to a stalled stepper motor, or one
missing steps the controller tries to increase the step count to
make up the difference. But that will not do anything except
make it worse. But there are people doing it here so it may
work ok on a properly designed system. Don't know of anyone
doing it with the parallel port. Also encoders are usually run
in quadrature which requires 2 wires plus 2 grounds although
I suppose you could just leave one pair off, cutting the resolution
of the encoder by 4

Bill