Re: Introduction and help need, ENC newbie,

Hello Bruce,

welcome to your EMC list.
If you need help feel free to write my in private. I will gladly share what I
know. Others will give you a helpful hand too, I am sure. I found that Ray is a
ever helping soul-but this mailing list is a great collection of EMC knowledge
too. For really hard things like bugs or questions about the source code ask
Fred or Will. If you have questions about your own EMC setup include your ini
file-it makes debugging easier and ask on this mailing list.

You will need a fairly recend computer. Your major first decision will be to
use servos or steppers. Steppers are cheaper-servos will require that you get a
STG2 card for around USD 850-or get some own hardware and write a driver.

Your EMC computer should be an Intel/AMD, I recommend something > 300MHz,
enough RAM ,64 or better 128 MB, an nice EIDE 4 GB or greater harddisk, a cd
recorder for backups and installation from CD( a simple CD drive is ok
too ) and a monitor. And all the other small stuff like graphics card, floppy
drives, network or modem or isdn etc. A used computer will do fine. Do not use
SCSI as it will kick you in the back when installing BDI. Get the BDI cd. BDI ==
brain dead install, but you should already know that if you read the linuxcnc
handbook.

Regards
Max

--
Max Heise <max.heise-at-gmx.net>
Student Mechatronik/Automatisierungstechnik