Motor controller recommendations?

All,
I am looking for recommendations for a motor controller.  I have a
Sherline mill, stepper motors, and the coil driver circuits which I
would like to connect to a newer Mac running OS X.

I have looked at the RMV ST400NT which seems ideal for controlling 4
motors and auxiliary I/O, and it connects via serial port, but according
to the company, they will only support Unix/Linux by shipping their
source code, requiring that you buy several units, and requiring that
you sign a non-disclosure agreement.

I have also seen a description of the MicroKinetics MN400 which is also
a serial connection, and they publish their serial commands, but it
seems like it has less I/O for a bit higher cost than the RMV.

Does anyone know of similar controllers, especially ones which which
come with a bit of example source or at least a published interface?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
John Faith