Re: List test: no mail since 8/12

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, you wrote:
<s>
> EMCers, I was doing a dry run of a program last night with the beta in the
> dropbox and in the middle of it X crashed, logged me off and restarted at
> the login prompt.  The machine was still running the program as if nothing
> happened!  I don't think it's anything with EMC that caused the crash, more
> likely because my CPU is overclocked about 50mhz.  It was just a bit
> startling to see my abort button disappear and the machine still running.  I
> let it go for a few minutes before shutting off the motor power.  Would
> there have been any way to log back on and restart the GUI? (Just in case
> that ever happened while making chips)

Joel

I seem to remember Jon Elson saying that he had that happen with his
Bridgeport a year or more ago.  Surprising!  A good reason for an estop
that really does the job!

With Linux and the NMT real-time system I tried killing and restarting
several things. (That old crashmaster, me.<g>)  I started my mill
and got it into auto and running a reasonably safe program with the feedrate
way down.  I killed processes using ktop.  I could have switched to a text
terminal <control><alt><F2> and run top from there.

The newest run files attempt to do an orderly shutdown when something dies.
They do this by sensing the existence of some running processes.  When
these die, the run script will attempt to cleanup the system.  So I killed
that process first.  It was named for the run file (minif.run) that I
started the EMC with. From there you can kill emcsh and it will take tkemc
with it.  Kill xemc if you are using that gui.  Then you can kill X and
still have a running real time process.

To restart I logged in as root, issued startx.  Your system may restart x
by itself if you use a graphical login.   Then I opened a new terminal in
the running emc directory, and typed plat/nonrealtime/bin/tkemc.  I don't
think that it read the correct ini file but <abort> and most of the rest
of it works.

I'm sure that there are those who would know what you would need to add to
the command to get the correct ini read when the gui starts.

HTH