need help with Linux

Jon I think you know allot about Linux and I am just a  beginner. I have a
Deluxe set of Linux 5.2. When installing this CD I get to the install
password Que. The password and login that I put in, never types letters on
the screen and it never takes. After the install I go to the login part and
I can never get into the operating system because I don't know the password.
Can you give me any clues on how to get this to work.
                                     George