Re: No Parallel Port

Hi Phil

Try :

ls /dev/lp*

Linux treats the parallel port (and serial ports) as a 'device' and requires
the relevant module to be loaded before it can be used. As soon as you try to
print anything via lp0, the modules will be loaded by the kernel.
But if you are using EMC with stepper motors, you really don't want to try
printing with the stepper drives hooked up to the same port.

Should really ask - Are you wanting to hook aprinter to lp0 ?
If so, you'll need two packages found at http://www.linuxcnc.org/bdi/RPMS to
get things set up correctly

Regards, Paul.

On Sat, 26 May 2001, phil wrote:

> I've just installed the BDI CD on my old NEC Pentium 90 and can't seem to
> find an lp device installed.  I've checked the /proc/devices,  /proc/ioports
> and /proc/interrupts and none have anything resembling an entry for the
> parallel port.
 >
 > I removed my network adaptor and reinstalled thinking it
could be an IRQ conflict but this hasn't helped. I did a bit of research on
Linux parallel port issues and found a suggestion about disabling PNP OS
support in the BIOS. I've tried this and this hasn't helped.
>  >
 The port was working fine under Win98 just prior to the BDI install.