Re: What services are NOT needed with EMC

(comments mixed in)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Paul wrote:
> Hi Ray
>
>  Have you been talking to Dan again <g>

Guilty.  And a couple of sbc makers.

> I had this discussion in the New Year, and have given it a casual look
from > time to time since.
> X windows and the window manager would be the largest part of any install. If
> this part could be dumped in favour of a framebuffer drive and a small
> dedicated GUI implimented - I would think  you could sqeeze it into less than
> 32 Mb.

Right, 32Mb of rtlinux and the EMC - sans gui on a compact-flash.  And it
would be a great black box with just a power cord, an ethernet connection,
and with some of gecko's finest, molex connectors for each axis.

Of course you could make it just a netboot and have no hard storage.  128
Mg 100 sdram is going for < $50 now.  Compact Flash is close to $100.

> Rtlinux is available on a single floppy, used in conjuction with nano-X
and > FLTK, an embedded EMC is a very real possibility.

> Some usefull URLs:
> http://linux-fbdev.org  for frame buffer drivers
> http://www.microwindows.org for nano-X
> http://www.fltk.org for fltk

Thanks for the links.  Anyone up for making one or two of these work and
display them at NAMES.  I can build them here if I can get help with the
software setup for it.  We could use an industrial sbc or a cheapo board.

I'd like to see the project details preserved as "open pages."  We could
GPLD them and put them in a section on linuxcnc.org.

Ray