Re: What services are NOT needed with EMC

Hi John

Whilst networking is not essential for EMC, it does come in handy for
transfering files from a CAD workstation. I would certainly suggest keeping a
minimum of services even if it only for ftp file transfers.
I have the basic BDI install running with KDE using approx 250Mb - This could
be trimmed down further by using a light weight window manager and junking some
of the base packages.
By dumping X windows alltogether and using a dedicated framebuffer driver (take
a look at some of the embedded Linux stuff) it would be possible to get EMC
running in less than 100Mb. I believe there is a micro linux distro complete
with an x windows type interface that runs from a handfull of floppies. It
really depends on how far you want to go in reducing the total install size.

Regards, Paul.

BTW - I have a dependency list for emc and rcslib along with a list for the
core packages - email me later on if you're interested.