Re: new release first problems

Hi Ray, Ian...

Just ran a batch of new tests....
emc + freqmod + xemc         = system crash or lock up
emc + emcmotsim + xemc    = running system
two emc machines running on the same box = Big trouble

On the SuSE 6.3 machine, running multiple tkemc machines works fine. Under
Mandrake, any terminals running an emc will terminate rather abruptly. If
freqmod or steppermod is being used, a whole host of nml errors are outputted
by the existing emc.
The lock up is at the kernel level - Can't even login from a remote terminal -
At first I thought it might be freqmod, but failing on the last test would
suggest a problem at a lower level.

I doubt very much that either rcslib or emc is at fault - the current
cvs sources appear to be running fine on the SuSE box. I would be more inclined
to suspect the glibc library and the gcc-2.95 compiler shipped with Mandrake.
Both my test machines are running 2.2.17 kernel with rtlinux-3.0, so the kernel
or emc sources are unlikely to be the problem.
Also, not having heard of crashes from RedHat users would also re-enforce my
suspicions of Mandrake (except RH6.2, which uses the same glibc as Mandrake 7.2)

Regards, Paul.