Re: 5-axis machine controller

Marc

I almost answered this one by coincidence in my previous "Thank you" post.

Since the circuit board mill is brain dead and uses steppers, I'd take the
retrofit in two stages.

Stage 1
Select a computer. See note 1  below
Get to Bust Buy or Wall Mart If your are in the US.  Amazon or ?? if not
Pick up Mandrake 7.0
Recommended install and set up x driver and monitor. (about 2 hours)
Add the ecgs libs using RpmDrake

Download the real-time rtlinux-2.2a from Rtlinux.org
Follow the linuxcnc.org install page for it. (about 2.5 hours)

Download the emc bin file for 2.2.14 rtlinux2.2 to a user/local/nist
directory. Run Tar xzvf * in that directory.  Run ./install in that
directory. (about 10 seconds) cd to the emc directory

Contact me off list and I'll send you a copy of the run and ini files that
I use.  You may need to edit one or two things for your system.  Post
your error messages, if any, to this list.  When you get EMC running you
you can play with it a bit.  And see if it's what you like.

You can study the RS274NGC g-code on linuxcnc.org to see what changes you
might have to make to whatever programmer you use.

Stage 2
Look at the existing stepper amps.  If you can use them DO!  EMC has two
kinds of stepper codes available.  I know something about the parport step
and direction system.  Other list members know about the phase outputs.

If you can't use the existing amps, roll your own, or buy three gecko
drives from  "Mariss Freimanis" <geckohall-at-home.com>

Connect them and run.

Ray

Note 1 (My preference is for a 6x86 with 64 meg memory and at least 2 gig
of hard drive.   This could be more than one. My pr 300 Cyrix does okay up
to about 120 ipm with 4000 steps per inch.  I also works best to have a
1024 capable monitor but 800 will do. )