Re: 5-axis machine controller

> Good questions John.  In fact if you read this list, the developer, and
> the cad_cam, you will get the impression that EMC barely works at all
> except for a bunch of "geeks" who fiddle with it when they have nothing
> better to do.

This is a good point, and quite frankly the impression I have and have
developed after being here for over a year probably.

I'm right at the point of replacing the controller on a machine I intend
to use to plot and drill circuit boards.

It is run by 3 steppers and is a 3 axis macine with about 3 inches of
up/down travel on the head and ~20" both directions over the bed.

I was almost to the point of deciding EMC was not worth the trouble.
Keep in mind I'm a Unix Geek and love linux so the "Trouble" would have
come from all the issues I've seen with people actually getting EMC
and the hardware working.
Maybe that was based on a bit of mis-interpretation.

Anyway, the internal controller is a bit braindead and I need to
replace it. I have plenty of old computers and power supplies and
simply planned to Bit-bang some MOS-FETs directly driving the steppers
from the parallel port.

What presumptions does the Stepper control module make and it is more
of the "Step & Direction" output or the "Energize Coil #1,#1&#2,#2..."
variety?

Keeping in mind I am a unix geek and live in that env. is getting EMC
up and running on such a setup, a day or two project?

Marc